Copyright Clarity

As I started reading this book, I felt confused when it said many teachers face issues with copyright in the classroom. The author framed it as a very common problem, and that does not resonate with me. So I felt even more confused in class when everyone started agreeing that this comes up for them all the time. I’m sure it’s because I’m still a new teacher, but this is not something I dedicate any time to thinking about. I suppose saying that should make me feel guilty, and it definitely makes me sound negligent, but even in reading this book, I know that I will have a hard time caring about this issue moving forward (at least in regards to using sounds, images, and videos in the classroom). With that said, though, I do think it’s important for teachers to know about copyright laws and here’s why--there are very few things you will actually get in trouble for, which is basically to say, stop worrying!!
Of course, being alert to copyright laws makes us aware of some common sense things (don’t give other teachers the TeachersPayTeachers resources you purchased, and don’t make copies of a book and upload it to your team’s Google Drive for them to print out as a class set of novels).
To me, more relevant contexts to this copyrighting idea are TeachersPayTeachers and idea property related to administration. For teachers who want to create on TPT, appropriate sharing licenses must be purchased. For example, when using a font in a product, you have to have the sharing license and not just the personal use license. The book talked about how some situations, despite requiring something to be purchased, don’t have the right to charge money, but it seems pretty clear that TeachersPayTeachers is not a scenario like that. It’s also difficult not to share products because of collaboration among teams. When I make math plans, I make math plans for the entire grade, so if I’m making use of a resource, I want all the students, even ones who aren’t in my class, to be using that resource as well. And since I made the plans, it doesn’t feel right to ask another teacher to purchase the product. I do feel guilty that another copy of the resource isn’t being purchased (and none of us make the big bucks around here), it just becomes more of a hassle than an intent to infringe upon copyright issues.
I asked my roommate (a 6th grade teacher at my school) if copyright in the classroom affects her, and she brought up the TPT issues. She’s in grad school for administration, so something she mentioned that we didn’t talk about in class is idea property. As teachers, all of the things we create (lesson plans, curriculum guides, resources, tests, data analysis documents) become property of the district. Which means if the district decided that my lesson plans were so good and everyone had to see them, they would be allowed to post those lesson plans as part of a curriculum resource without giving me credit. Now, this scenario would never happen because my lesson plans aren’t so good. Now obviously my lesson plans aren’t copyrighted and I am not losing any money in that scenario, but is it wrong that it irks me just a little bit they could claim it as their own work?
In all, it’s important for teachers to learn about the actual copyright laws so that many can stop worrying about getting in trouble for using certain images and videos in the classroom. I think the suggestion made at the end of the book about moving into an era where copyright laws don’t exist or are drastically altered is something that might need to be considered in our ever changing world.

Comments

  1. I agree teachers need to learn about copyright law so we can stop worrying. I love that the book offers a way for us to provide a teacher inservice to spread the information. While I currently feel overwhelmed with my work load I’m hoping to at least propose the idea to my principal to see if it’s something we should share at a staff meeting or maybe on one of the professional development days we have built in our school year this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too feel it is important for teachers to learn about copyright laws and fair use. Although I am not sure how many people would like to sit through another presentation during a staff meeting, using our Pecha Kucha's would be a great way to educate without boring anxious time watching adults. But I do think it is a great place to start on changing the false mindset that we all have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how many of us are coming from different places and backgrounds, but yet we have similar concerns and/opinions. Knowing about Fair Use (and Dr. Hathaway suggested using that term instead of 'copyright' when teaching teachers) can indeed be freeing and allow us to be more confident in choosing resources for our students. The TPT thing is really hard since, like everyone else, we partner up, and it'd be strange keeping a great resource to myself just because I don't have more than 1 license. However, Caroline, I don't think it's strange to be slightly irked to think that all of the plans we do for our classrooms could be considered property of the district. Huh. I never considered that. I know working for a company or university means you often give your company some rights to whatever you create, but as teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your sentences -"there are very few things you will actually get in trouble for, which is basically to say, stop worrying!!" I really need to do that but also with more than just copyright law.

    I know that in FCPS if you make something on a school computer, the one I am typing this reply on right now, that the county does own it and will take the profits from you. It was one of the first things they told us about in new to FCPS training. They keep taking away things they used to give us, like tuition help, and yet when we do more work outside of our classroom to make it better for our students and wish to try and make a little money off of that to offset the money we don't get, they have the right to take that money from us. For this reason I will always have two computers. I never plan on selling anything I make to teachers, it’s easier to just share it then they can share it without feeling bad either, just one of those better safe than sorry things. As we begin to create more in DDLS I will have to think about using my home desktop rather than my school laptop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts