Technology, man!


I actually very much enjoyed reading The Victorian Internet and watching The Day the Universe Changed. Liking both of those things made me feel quite nerdy, but the way technology shapes our lives and our thought process has been an interest of mine for a while. In college, I was in a program called “Media, Self, and Society” in which we studied the relationship between technology and people through various lenses. Most of the people in that program were journalism and business majors (so the program made sense with their major), and then there I was as the lone education major. But it was so interesting!!! Anyway…
I watched The Day the Universe Changed with my boyfriend, who was pretty disgruntled that I was making him watch a boring old show instead of The Office, but by the end we were both paying attention and sheepishly admitting we were interested. We were both disappointed, though, that they jumped straight from the filing system to computers! I guess they only had limited time and covering everything would have taken a lot more than 45 minutes.
I’m pretty enthralled with the idea that the use of paper in society reshaped the way our memory works. Writing things down is crucial to my learning process (in class, I’m always writing down the conversations we have while we’re having them because even though I’ll never look at those notes again, writing it helps it stay in my mind better). Because I know writing is so important to my learning process, I design my lessons in a way that students get a chance to write down something concrete we’ve talked about (usually in an interactive notebook). During a recent post-observation conference, though, as I explained that to my AP, I realized that that’s not really fair of me to assume that my students need that opportunity to write like I do. I’d argue that we can’t even consider ourselves a print society anymore, we’re more a digital society, and because of that, my students’ learning processes might be different from mine. It might be more appropriate to tell them to create their own “study guide” in any form they want. As long as the ideas are represented, the format should be what makes the most sense to them.
Something from Victorian Internet that I keep thinking about are the examples they gave of people who couldn’t grasp what sending a telegraph really meant (the lady who didn’t think the message was from her son because it wasn’t his handwriting, etc). The way we learn to use technologies is dependent on their role in our lives. Texting has been fully integrated in society for many years now, but texting will always mean something different to our students than it does to their grandparents. There’s a huge difference in learning to use something because that’s the way it’s always been and learning to use something because it’s the new direction of communication. I think about this when I watch my students navigate their Chromebooks at the start of the year. It’s very obvious when a student has had exposure to some type of device before compared to the students who have never had that exposure. The Internet and computers are designed to be user friendly, and the ones who have computer access at home understand that. They read error messages as they come up and act accordingly. They browse the toolbar on Google Slides to see how they can solve the problem of not being to type on the slide. Students who don’t have computer exposure outside of school stop in their tracks when any type of message pops up on their screen, even if it’s a “Welcome to Google Classroom! Press any key to continue” type of message and panic that they might have done something wrong. I think this very much reflects Vygotsky’s Mind in Society theory that the physical tools are one of the first steps in putting together meaningful thought.

I’m excited that we’re getting more into the technology stuff now in class! Can’t wait to start implementing new tools that align with my learning goals.

Comments

  1. I'm with you (and your boyfriend) that the show and book were very interesting. I love history and figuring out how things today are connected to events in the past. It's fascinating to see the ripple effects from one thing affect so many other things. I have also noticed the differences with students' (and adults') comfort levels with technology. I remember starting college when getting a school email address was a brand-new concept. My sister started college 4 years later, and all students had IM on their computers, and planning to go out was completely different. Now, everyone is in constant communication with each other. I'm like you that I need to write things down to remember them; even if I lose my note, I still have the muscle memory of writing it to help me recall. I have noticed several students each year who copy everything down, and perhaps they remember the same way. Over the past few years, I started offering to my students the ability to study for spelling tests any way their brains will remember best. For some, it isn't writing, so expecting everyone to bring in a written practice test isn't practical. We'll keep looking for ways to adjust for how this generation of students (and each individual) learns best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes it is very easy to tell those that are technological aware and are using it at home. I have a few tech gurus that help my friends how to solve troubleshoot errors they may experience. Skills that I would not think to mention to parents can save so much time in school if they simply practice basic computer skills that we are now teaching in the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents always ask (and post on some of the Loudoun parent Facebook pages) when we're going to be teaching their kids to type in elementary school. It's a struggle squeezing that in between everything else... We're still teaching some of them to tie their shoes!

      Delete
  3. I also enjoyed both assignments. I love learning background/history and I’ve never looked into the telegraph or thought about the history of writing and all of the impacts both advances made on the world. Before this class and blog experience I didn’t question all of the technology integration but now I really think it’s important to consider its educational impact. There’s a news story that has been running all weekend about an app for adults to give anonymous feedback to each other that has turned into a new place for teens to cyber bully. Talk about unintended consequences. I’m not sure that teachers/parents/app creators can ever completely determine what will happen but we should atleast make try.
    At the beginning of the school year - I made a google form with a QR code for access for the parents to provide some information (number, willing to help with parties, way their child is going home) and I was astounded by how many students had to help their parents who were embarrassed they didn’t know what to do. It didn’t occur to me that our tech savvy kids had parents who were a bit intimidated by this approach to collect information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of students creating their own "study guide" to help them understand the concepts taught in class. You could give them a rubric before each new unit that states all the important parts they would need for their study guide.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts