The Information Diet
It’s funny that a central theme in The Information Diet was people looking for affirmations of their beliefs, and then I felt so relieved to hear Dr. Hathaway say “sometimes it’s necessary for students to just hear someone say ‘Here’s how you do it!’” and “not everything you teach is going to directly be an authentic problem.” I shouldn’t feel that relief, but I did! It’s nice to know that I don’t have to be searching for authentic activities when I teach the background building stuff. (To be clear, I will search for those authentic opportunities, but you know what I’m saying).
I did enjoy reading The Information Diet. Media perspective and how it shapes us is something I, along with the rest of the country, has been thinking about non-stop since the election. Everyone is claiming everyone else has a bias and they are the only neutral one so listen to them. But really, who is neutral anymore? If anyone looks hard enough, they can craft a “this isn’t neutral” argument about any piece of writing. Because of this, the book suggests instead of always seeking neutral, seek diversity. And I think that’s fair--as long as you’re open minded. Many people won’t even consider reading an “other side” article because they think it’s full of fiction and accusations. And many people who do read an other side article only do it with hopes of gathering evidence to accuse that side of writing fiction and accusations. Correct me if I’m wrong, but our media has never gotten to this messed up place before, and I really don’t know what can fix it. I think pretty often about how we’ll read about this time period in history books someday.
Positives of seeking diversity, though, are that you get to form your own opinions and yay that’s exactly what we want our students to do!!! How great does this sound--present students with several reading-level-appropriate texts about the same topic and they get to figure out what’s fact, what’s fiction, what’s opinion, and what’s somewhere in the middle (makes me wish I still taught literacy! And with sites like newsela, it’s totally possible). But here’s the problem I’m running into. Students come with such strong “beliefs” (students think they’re beliefs, but they’re actually opinions) from home, but don’t come with the background that supports the beliefs (which means our students are like those people we hate to read on Facebook!) But this makes kids take in the main message, but don’t hear or understand the details. I think a reasonable role I can take in this is to help them understand the details that support whatever opinion they have. BUT the current political and world situations are so complicated, so layered, so multifaceted, it’s nearly impossible to get them to understand the details. Sites like newsela are perfect for letting kids know “hey this happened yesterday” but because the writing is on a student level, it’s incredibly oversimplified, and therefore not specific enough to convey that there are two (or more) sides to every story. When the election was fresh last year, my students were entirely anti-Trump and, reasonably, feared for what might happen to their families. But they would walk in and say “Trump is going to murder all of us!” and that’s when I realized how easy it is to misinterpret the news as a child. I wanted them to understand facts--he’s not going to kill you, he wants to limit immigration and enforce deportation on those who immigrated illegally. But in explaining the facts they a) accused me of being a Trump supporter, b) didn’t want to accept what I was saying, they preferred their version, and c) said, “That’s not what my mom said!” We need media literate students so they don’t grow up to feed their own children misinterpretations of the news! Maybe I say that because I can’t stand non-factual Facebook rants.
SO what I’m taking back to my classroom this week:
--actively seeking student news sources that include first-hand accounts and not just retellings (gotta get information from the source!).
--teaching students, through my own searching and news-consuming actions, that not everything they read is reliable. What kind of statements should put up a red flag for them? And what should they do if they read something that’s red flag?
--(For myself) I have to do a better job of keeping up with the news. It’s not at all appropriate to not participate because I don’t always know what my opinions are or what I make of certain situations. I have to participate in order to figure it out.
Great thoughts on the Information Diet. It's hard to teach government without the idea of politics popping up every once in a while, with a student spouting out what they heard at home. I try very hard to point out that we're teaching the structure of our government and how it is designed to work and avoid current political discussions with my third graders. It's true that we need to make sure our kids are smarter consumers of information than many of the voting-age adults who don't (can't?) do their own research and instead listen to what their neighbor, pastor, commercial, or radio talking head has said about this candidate or that one. We are part of creating the next generation of an educated electorate who knows how the government should work, and how to weed through the "stuff" thrown at us (loudly, repeatedly, and obnoxiously) during election seasons, which anymore seems to be year-round. Our "media" is definitely messed up because they're in business for the wrong reasons - advertising money. You need a core audience who will come back over and over and click on the ads, so the algorithms have figured out what people "want" to see to affirm their "truth." I think the book pointed out one suggestion was perhaps we should be willing to pay for journalism & newspapers/online content to keep the advertising money out of our news...
ReplyDeleteThat is a good point about allowing the students to seek information on their own. Often times it is easier to just give them the needed information because we know it is right. Often times that robs them of forming their own understandings and opinions. Allowing them that freedom is also a task that I am striving to do more often in my class.
ReplyDeleteI love your ideas of using newslea. I joined and did a quick search and found a lot of great math and science articles I’m excited to share with my team. We are using google classroom this year and I see that I can import my classes easily. I think this is a great way for students to get information and then they can work on analyzing and applying their own critical thinking skills. Thank you! I love the pro/con section where students can read different sides of an issue and then we could have them do further research to support this. The lexile drop down at the top is perfect to help differentiate the articles for my students. I’ve already sent an e-mail to my team :)
ReplyDeleteI love your idea of giving students different readings at their level and having them figure out which is fact and which is opinion. That sounds like it could be a great thing to do in a guided reading discussion group.
ReplyDelete