The Knowledge Principle

The Knowledge Principle
Good learning designs recognize concepts as tools, situate those concepts in the context of their use reflecting authentic activity, conceptual tool, and culture, and analyze content for generalizable knowledge.

I’ll be honest, I’m a little on the fence about the idea of concepts as a tool. I can understand how that makes sense in secondary grades, but in elementary grades, the learning goal is learning the concept, and it might not be fully realized or applied until later on. Sometimes don’t you just need to understand the concept so that other functions of the world make sense? On the other hand, I completely see how “find the greatest common factor” should not be the learning goal. In fact, the learning goal can’t be accomplished if students don’t have a chance to apply the skill in a context that isn’t just a practice problem. This goes back to the idea from the Situated Cognition that says students have to understand how to use the tool, which also means they have to understand the culture of the tool. Students can’t fully understand greatest common factor until they observe a situation in which they think “hmm, maybe if I could figure out the greatest common factor I could figure this out.”

When considering design processes, it’s important to include Authentic Activities, Background Building Activities, and Constructing Activities. This I wholeheartedly agree with. We can’t get around the fact that we explicitly need to teach salient vocabulary and math procedures! But then once that has been taught, the students need a chance to practice it in a way that’s going to be meaningful to them. I think if teachers are providing authentic enough activities, we might be able to eliminate that “when am I ever going to need this” question. I do have one caveat, however. Sometimes, especially with EL students or low income students that lack their own background knowledge, the background activities take more time than I’d like them to. I can’t get to including Authentic Activities or Constructing Activities because the students require so much of the Background Activities. I have one class that includes mostly TAG and Young Scholars students, and one that has a lot of ELs and SPED students, and it’s incredible the difference (in just two weeks!) in activities we do in these two classes. It’s really a shame, because I want my second class to see how multiples are used in the real world like my first class is getting the chance to, but the second class is still having trouble skip counting and applying vocabulary words. I wish timing wasn’t a factor.
I also wish timing wasn’t a factor when it comes to exit experiences. The amount of time it takes for students to work up to an exit experience is unfortunately sometimes time that we don’t have. But I definitely see the value in an exit experience--in the real world, when we work hard for something, we get something out of it, and students deserve to get more than a good grade.

This week, I’m going back to my classroom thinking about how I can balance Authentic/Constructing Activities and Background Building Activities. I’m pretty confident I can make that balance work for my homeroom class, as they have a collectively broader background knowledge, but I’m nervous about my second class. I’ve seen already that they take longer to learn a new concept, and still need more practice with things that the first class can work with functionally. I don’t want my second class to miss out on authentic activities--what I’m sure the students consider “the fun stuff”--but I also need to make sure I’m giving them what they need. I’m wondering if there’s a way I can better infuse background activities in with authentic activities.

Comments

  1. These are great thoughts and a great comparison between what can be accomplished when a class has more background knowledge than the other. I have noticed that with our shifting population in our school, there is a much greater need for building background knowledge than I've experienced in previous years, even among students who are not identified as ELL students. I saw this yesterday when we were working on a data-analyzing practice activity that asked students to add up the total of 4-legged animals on the table. At least half of my 3rd grade class didn't know what a hamster looked like, and over 2/3 had never heard of parakeets. Yes, I've taken my daughters to Petco to visit the furry creatures because we don't have any pets at home, but I guess I'm surprised my 8-year-old students weren't familiar with what a hamster was.

    I, too, wish that we had unlimited time to really dig in and take the time for all of the really authentic activities and exit experiences. Sometimes, the students have such great questions, which lead to side discussions and other teachable moments, but that also takes away from the time we have planned for the activities. I'll keep trying to find that balance to keep moving forward to incorporate the planned authentic activities and be more careful to make sure I am choosing things that we have the background knowledge to complete. I'll look for more shared reading and read-alouds to build more background knowledge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share in your frustration about time. I’m teaching place value right now and this is a foundational concept that the students will need throughout all of math and yet the need to press on and keep up our pacing is also a factor. It seems silly to go to other concepts before they have a solid understanding of the ones taught and yet this is exactly what is done. I can attest to my students putting in the effort to learn the concepts, for the most part, and it makes me wonder if schools will ever group students in ways other than by age.
    I have to say, I learn every year something new that needs to be explicitly taught because the students don’t have the background knowledge or the fundamental concept of it. For example several years ago, I learned I need to explicitly explain why we have folders (to keep our papers neat and in order). And each year this seems like I just invented the wheel. Students seem to have no idea why they have folders and that is why papers don’t get put in the right one, and they don’t take the time to put them in nicely. I find I have to review this concept throughout the year and students papers continue to be a mess and unfindable. My personal favorite is when I ask students what is the difference between 7 and 5 and they undoubtedly will start to describe how they are physically different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you went back this past week thinking about the balance between Authentic/Constructing Activities and Background Building Activities in your lessons/units. Maybe you could plan a different activity or something similar but not on such a large scale for your class that is still behind. They will pick up the concept of multiples in their world but they need to start seeing them as doubles first so have them plan a Sunday dinner for their family of 6 rather than a large party. They are more likely to pick up on the vocabulary as well if they are using it to do something they enjoy. You can teach to their needs as they are completing the project and they may even begin to use multiples instead of doubles to find their answer because they are seeing it in a different light.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts