Principle 1: Teachers as Designers

In addition to their doing practice, teachers participate in design practice - “before action” practice - situated in thoughtful consideration of principles, processes, patterns, and paraphernalia.
Principle 1 of designing learning says that teachers must participate in designing practice while carefully considering principles, processes, patterns, and paraphernalia. Those four considerations should lead the teacher to an optimally designed learning experience for students. It was clear that in the articles about two teachers using technology, the podcast summative assessment was thoughtfully designed by a teacher who was looking for students to meaningfully utilize skills they’d spent all semester developing, while the day-long iPad use for reading and math activities was planned by a teacher taking advantage of the technology and app access she knew the students had. While I will give the teacher the benefit of the doubt that the apps the students were using can incite meaningful learning, I don’t think the student’s use of them was meaningful in itself due to the apparent lack of framing. Something else that stood out to me about our first class was this simple statement: the word technology is closer to technique than it is to tool. The reason I chose this program instead of one of the many educational technology programs out there is because I’m not simply interested in using technology in my classroom--everyone is interested in using technology in the classroom. I want my practice to be purposeful and innovative. Technology can do things that humans can’t, so we should use it to do something that we couldn’t do otherwise! By the end of the program, I want my technique to be reflective of my technological knowledge.
This first principle suggests that practicing design helps you learn your own teaching, both content and pedagogy, better. The more you consider each little piece of instruction, the more invested you become in the students’ learning processes. It seems that after practicing designing for a while, teaching will become more efficient, as I’ll have a better understanding of the best combinations of process, patterns, and tools for specific content or categories of learning.
I look forward to diving more into the processes and patterns of designing learning. While we viewed the kitchen patterns, I kept thinking about how my school implements gradual release model for our teaching, which I suppose would be considered our teaching pattern. Often, the gradual release model is a great option for framing students’ learning, but in the past year, I sometimes got frustrated with the structure. At times, it just didn’t make sense with what I wanted to do, and I realize now it’s because I was being boxed into constant repetition of the same pattern. Learning patterns need to be diversified as part of design practice, just as we saw through the iPad teacher article that constant repetition of iPad and app use is not going to get the students what they need.
Design should be at the forefront of most “planning” conversation we have as teachers. As a new teacher last year, part of what I found took me so long to do my lesson plans was that I was thinking so long and hard about how I should structure all parts of the unit. Generally, I do think a lot about sequence and what the correct order to present information is, even within just a mini lesson. This principle will definitely encourage me to continue to evaluate sequencing and thoughtful presentation of material. However, when it got close to SOL time last year, I was so focused on what the students needed to learn that I lost sight of how they were going to learn it. I did think about which tools or resources would help them learn, but according to this principle, the tools are not enough.
On my drive home from class, I kept thinking how important design is, but how much more work it seems to be. Having a curriculum map or a fully constructed unit with great resources from a fantastic grade-level teammate makes our own workloads more bearable. I was left thinking that there must be a way to compromise what we should do (design, everything, always) and what we sometimes want to do (take the pre-made bundle). So far, I’m thinking that if I truly take a critical eye to what’s been given to me (a curriculum guide, a unit plan, and project resource, etc) and I determine that the design of it is intentional, thoughtful, and what my students need, then I’ve applied my design skills without practicing them, and that’s okay sometimes. I’m curious to see where the rest of the group stands on that, and even to see if my own opinions of that change as we continue to learn!

Comments

  1. Similar to you, I to want to better use technology as a meaningful design practice rather than a tool. So many teachers see technology as a tool to incorporate into their daily routine that reflects similar to the article we read. In my blog, I also found it as a challenge to find the time to design every topic topic subject and to get away from the "perfect print and go bundle" that requires no prep on the teachers part. I find it easier to do with social studies or even science and a little more challenging to design a language arts/reading unit. I really enjoyed reading your perspective and found it interesting how we had several similar thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I wonder about using designs from other teachers and classes. That's not cheating, right?? ;) I've always questioned the practice of some teachers who find the "cutest activity" on Pinterest or TPT to teach every single topic we learn in 3rd grade. Yes, it's cute and fun, but cutting and gluing pictures isn't necessarily learning much. It's not constructive learning - there's no deeper understanding. Finding the time to design lessons and units is definitely what is weighing on my mind at the moment. The SOL tests also add an extra constraint on what we believe is best for kids' learning versus what we need to accomplish in a short amount of time. I look forward to working together with this cohort to find the right balance and some awesome ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comment that learning patterns need to be diversified. Variety is the spice of life! Students cannot and will not be engaged without some variety. Additionally, you are only reaching the students that that respond to this learning pattern and we know that every child learns differently.
    I love your last paragraph, it offers so much to consider. I agree that using that material after critically looking at it can be considered intentional design. I think that if you have critically reviewed the material then you have applied your design principal – you don’t have to add anything to make it yours. I have also found that despite a lot of intentional pre-design when I actually teach using stuff I thought I made better I was able to learn valuable lessons about why I didn’t need to make any changes or how my changes did add as much to learning process as I thought it would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your critical eye comment, how everything that is handed to us to use in this nice little package isn't always what is best for our students growth and understanding of the subject. I find that a lot with younger students (First and K) don't always walk away with "I understand that a square has 4 equal sides and 4 right angles" its more "Look I made a picture out of shapes." You really need to probe them for more information about the shape and if you are lucky they might remember that the square they used for their body has 4 sides. But students will remind you how much they love the picture they made months later.

    I also really liked how you worded your ending goal for this program - "I want my technique to be reflective of my technological knowledge." I hope to find this too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts