The Learning Principle

Learning Principle:
Good learning designs engage students in “playful” activities at the edge of their knowledge and understanding using symbolic tools to develop and internalize meaningful thought.


The Learning Principle makes me think exactly of what’s been going on in my science class this year. We’ve been learning about electricity for the last 3 weeks (static electricity, batteries, simple circuits, conductors/insulators, and now electromagnets). We’ve been lucky that this first unit is one we can do almost completely hands-on. My teammate and I attended a professional development before school started that gave us ideas for how to incorporate various levels of exploration, so we designed our unit to be mostly opposite of the traditional i do, we do, you do model. We’ve started by posing a question about a familiar phenomenon (getting shocked on the slide, light up toys, remote controls, electricity in a house, etc), discussed relevant vocabulary, and then given students the necessary materials to create something that will help them answer the question posed at the beginning of the lesson. After experimenting, we come together to generalize discoveries, and during this time, we teach a mini-lesson as needed. In all four 4th grade classes, we’ve been blown away by how engaged the students are in their learning and their ability to explain what they create in the course of their experiment. Granted, electricity is one of the easiest topics in which students can engage in playful activities, but the experience has definitely inspired me to find a way to incorporate this style of learning in other units throughout the year. I especially want to try this in math--I’m thinking adding/subtracting fractions would be a good topic to try it with if I give all students a problem to solve and fraction tiles to work with.
I think since I was a student, I’ve believed that you can’t really learn something until you can do it by yourself in a new situation. I remember being frustrated with math teachers in high school when they’d give us very similar types of practice problems during a unit followed by a very different type of application problem on a test. I came to expect this, and felt helpless each time because I wasn’t given opportunities to apply new skills in various contexts at any time before the test. To me, this is directly reflective of the learning principle/Vygotsky. I had actual knowledge of the things I was learning (derivatives, inverse functions, etc) and applying them was in my zone of proximal development, but I was never able to cross it (and that’s evidenced by the fact that I can only tell you that I learned those things today, I can’t show you). I actually think it would have been very helpful had I taken physics after calculus.

Sorry for that walk down high school lane. I’ll get back to focus. I’ve found that using symbolic tools to express the ideas we’ve read about on our own, then discussed in class has truly helped me make the most of what we’re learning. As much as I don’t want to be creative and write 5 poems at the end of a very long day, it does force us to make our own meaning of these very abstract concepts. Snaps for us, and snaps for Dr. Norton because it’s so helpful to have experience participating in the type of activities we can actually use in our classrooms.

Comments

  1. I hope our high school experiences are different from what the students today get to experience. There was definitely very little actual application in math. My algebra teacher taught us (mostly-made-up) theories and processes to solve problems in the text books, and I really struggled. I'm still not confident in my Algebra skills thanks to his "Fffffffttt Triangle," whatever that was, and his "Huck Finn Paint the Fence" technique... Like you, I wonder if my brain is still firing on all cylinders to make it through the creative challenges given to us by Dr. Norton in class each week, but those activities do truly help us synthesize what we've read or learned, and when working with partners, it helps us crystallize what we've learned. I also think your electricity unit sounds like fun - I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear more on your electricity unit! It is funny that you mention high school math, I felt the same way senior year learning Calculus AB I knew it so I could remember long enough to take the test. If you asked me to apply it, I could not tell you. I agree that the activities and strategies that we are learning are very useful and I strive to implement something new after each week to slowly get away from my traditional style of teach, model, practice, fade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to create meaning through playful exchanges about abstract concepts is an absolute truth when teaching today. I’d love to experience your science unit as electricity is still an abstract concept to me. I have conflicted feelings about my high school math. I was motivated at the beginning of my senior year to take both Calculus and Statistics but got senioritis quite early that year. I’m not sure who was to actually blame for me never grasping Calculus. It just never made sense - where was this going to be used in my life but I didn’t really apply myself either. As I’m teaching students to round 3 digit numbers to the 10’s I have some students that are losing a digit. For example they are rounding 113 to 10. When I explain that they can’t lose 100 - I’m still just explaining concepts - when I change it to money - you have $113 - tell me about how much you have to the closest 10 - and I ask them how they lost $100, how would they explain that to their mom - students start to see what I’m talking about. I hoping my students will be able to transfer this knowledge of not losing a digit as we tackle rounding 4 digit numbers to the 10’s and 100’s place next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that your science unit went well! I defiantly feel better about a unit the more hands on it is. Science is great that way and math too. I would like to make it more in Language Arts and Social Studies but it doesn't show it’s self as easily that way as the other twp. This year I am very lucky to have a flexible schedule when it comes to the afternoon and teaching Science/Social Studies and I look forward to teaching Science now because I can take the time and let the students do their own group experiments rather than have them watch me do one. Last year we only had 25 minutes which made completing and cleaning up from an experiment very difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts